Skip to main content

Natural Awakenings Metro Phoenix & Northern Arizona

Cancer Prevention is a Daily Choice: Learn how to prevent a future of battling cancer and disease by altering our lifestyle today, says Dr. Paul Stallone

Jul 30, 2013 09:17AM ● By Paul Stallone, NMD

According to the American Cancer Society, 50 percent of all men and 75 percent of all women will develop cancer at some point in their life. These statistics may seem frightening, but some experts state that about 95 percent of all cancers are preventable. The other 5 percent is hereditary, and therefore are not avoidable. This means that the majority of us can prevent a future of battling cancer and disease by altering our lifestyles.

Cancer cells develop myriad times during our lifetime, but our immune system detects and kills them before they wreak havoc. If we have a sedentary lifestyle, poor eating habits, smoke or drink and are constantly stressed, then the chances are very high that our immune system is overworked and won’t be able to efficiently protect us.

Probably the best way to protect ourselves is through diet. It should be no surprise that what we put into our body has a significant impact on health. Don’t expect energy or vitality from eating “dead” or processed food. Eating organic, healthy food may cost a little more and require more time, but the effort is well worth it. These fruits and vegetables should be organic, the rest can be non-organic if necessary: apples, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, hot peppers, nectarines, peaches, potatoes, strawberries and spinach.

There might be some debate regarding this list, so do some research and choose accordingly. Besides organic, make sure to buy non-GMO (genetically modified) produce. Many studies have confirmed GMOs cause cancer in animals, so this might be why many countries are banning them. Corn, soy, cotton, and sugar beets grown in the U.S. are almost all GMO.

After buying all those fruits and vegetables, try to fill the plate two-thirds full of them, as recommended by nutritionists. Limit the amount of red meat consumed, which can be acidic. Eating it twice a week or less is ideal, and buy only 100 percent grass-fed, organic meats. High-quality meat is more expensive, but think of it as medical food. Completely eliminate any processed meats like hot dogs, packaged lunchmeat, chicken nuggets and bacon.

Sometimes, even eating healthy still requires supplementation. A high-quality multivitamin and omega complex is a staple for general health, but make sure to buy the very best products. A cheap supplement is exactly that: cheap, and we get what we pay for. Another must-have supplement is a high-quality probiotic that replenishes and supports our good bacteria. Most of the immune system, about 70 percent, is in the gut, and its health depends on a proper ratio of good and bad bacteria, but harmful bacteria will disrupt this balance if given the right environment. By supplementing the good bacteria, we ensure a healthy gut and immune system.

By eating healthy and taking high-quality supplements, we’ll notice more energy. Try using this “natural” energy, meaning it didn’t come from coffee or another stimulant, and go for a walk. Exercise is very important for fighting disease and maintaining a healthy body. It can boost our mood, support our heart, stimulate our brain, reduce body pain, lower stress and provide many more positive benefits. Try switching up activities to keep things fresh and exciting. One of the great things about exercise is that it is free—so get creative.

All the recommendations above can help prevent and fight cancer and diseases; we just need to make them a priority. A naturopathic physician can make more suggestions or provide help in achieving a healthier lifestyle. It’s easier to get healthy now than after we are diagnosed with cancer or another preventable condition.

Paul Stallone, NMD, founded the Arizona Integrative Medical Center, located at 8144 E. Cactus Rd., Ste. 820, in Scottsdale. He combines natural/alternative/conventional treatments to best fit and benefit each individual patient’s needs. For more information, call 480-214-3922 or visit DrStallone.com.

Upcoming Events Near You